Head of Publishing
SALARY: ON APPLICATION
We have a new role exclusive to Redwood Publishing Recruitment. We are working on behalf of SfAM who have an exciting opportunity for a publishing professional to lead in the development of the publishing portfolio of a global learned society. The Society for Applied Microbiology is one of the world’s leading microbiology Societies and a champion for the application of microbiology, its practitioners and an international community of members. Its five internationally recognised journals are committed to peer review integrity, upholding the highest standards in disseminating authoritative scientific information.
The Society is seeking a Head of Publishing to deliver their publications strategy, manage the Society’s publishing portfolio, innovate and grow their scholarly publication activities and seek to diversify the Society’s revenue streams. This is a brand-new appointment and the position will be part-time (3 days a week), and will be a fixed term remote working contract for the duration of four years.
Key tasks and responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Preparation and delivery of a 3-5-year publishing strategy that delivers content quality and growth as well as meeting agreed financial targets for each of the journals, preparing annual budgets accordingly.
- Design and delivery of a strategic plan for journal commissioning that develops the best authorship for each title.
- Working with each Editor-in-Chief, Senior Editors and Editorial Boards of each journal, to lead the development and implementation of the scientific and commercial strategy for each product in the portfolio in line with SfAM organisational objectives.
- Ensuring the operational requirements of the Society’s publishing function are met, including responsibility for the planning and management of day-to-day SfAM journals activities, in collaboration with the Chief Executive.
- Managing the relationships with SfAM’s publisher to ensure an efficient and cost-effective service which meets agreed service levels, monitoring all KPIs to achieve targets that deliver the publishing strategy.
- Closely integrating the Society’s journals with other functions of the Society.
- Building strong relationships with the scientific community in order to develop SfAM’s publisher portfolio by having an awareness of the STM and competitor landscape and trends in international funding for applied microbiology and related research.
- Management of SfAM journals’ contract renewal/renegotiation/tender process.
- Overseeing the organisation of Editorial Board meetings, including oversight of the collation and distribution of papers and processing of Editorial Board expenses (Administration support will be provided).
- Lead on the negotiation of contract terms with the current publishers, or lead a tender process to seek alternative publishing arrangements.
This is an amazing opportunity for a highly experienced STM journals publishing professional looking to bring their journals expertise to one of the world’s leading microbiology Societies.
The successful candidate will have the following required experience and skills:
- Proven experience in STM or academic journal publishing is essential, and how scientific journals operate, ideally with experience from a Society publishing background, otherwise the candidate should have strong knowledge of Learned Societies.
- Demonstrable experience of driving forward the strategic direction of a journal
- Educated to degree level (ideally in a science subject)
- Strong project management and organisation skills with the ability to meet deadlines
- The ability to digest large amounts of information and react effectively under pressure
- A pro-active approach and the ability to work independently on your own initiative
- An interest or background in sustainability would be an advantage
- Solid IT skills including Excel and a working knowledge of social media networks/platforms.
This opportunity is being handled by Redwood Publishing Recruitment on behalf of SfAM and all applications must be sent to Redwood Publishing Recruitment to be considered.
This role carries an attractive salary and company benefits and will work from home. For further information please send your CV and cover letter, plus salary expectations quoting ref no. HOP240820 to: firstname.lastname@example.org. All applications must be received by the 30th September 2020.
SfAM are committed to drawing on a wide range of knowledge and experience and strive to maintain diversity in all areas of their work (BAME, career level, disabilities, gender). For more information on the Society’s commitment to inclusion please see their position statement located on their website.Apply
If you would like to be kept up to date with our latest vacancies , please sign up!register