Desk Editor – Non-Fiction Books
SALARY: £28K- £34K
LOCATION: London - Hybrid Working
We are very excited to be working with a leading independent commercial non-fiction London based publisher on a brand-new position. This is a fantastic opportunity for a Desk Editor who loves words and who can take a manuscript and knock it into shape. If you are looking for a more immersive desk editing role where you will be part of an inclusive, friendly team and work across a wide range of commercial non-fiction titles, then please get in touch. The company offer a hybrid working arrangement of 1-2 days in the office.
Working with the Commissioning Editors, the Desk Editor will work with colleagues, both within the team and the wider company and some of the key responsibilities will include:
- Responsibility for every stage of a book, from commissioned manuscript to the finished book
- Working closely with authors and developing content where necessary
- Briefing cover designers, writing cover copy and circulating cover designs/proofs
- Working with the picture researcher on cover images and illustrations/plate sections
- Copy-editing, fact checking, proofreading and making final checks before sending book to print
- Managing freelance editors, proof-readers, designers, indexers, typesetters etc.
- Writing material for AIs and catalogues
- Presenting titles at sales conferences
We are looking for someone with a fantastic eye for detail and who is confident and happy to immerse themselves in making great books for the commercial non-fiction market.
The successful person will have proven desk editing experience from a similar commercial non-fiction publishing background (essential), with the ability to produce books with engaging, interesting text that is consistent in tone and style. You will have great organisational and communication skills, with the ability to meet often tight deadlines. The ability to work and collaborate with colleagues within the team and wider company is essential as is a flexible approach to your work as there will be times when projects change focus.
Some of the subject areas will include history, language, biography, philosophy, puzzles, gift, humour, and you will be working on several different titles at any one time, so the ability to apply yourself to different genres is important.
If you think this could be the next step for you, please send your CV and a short cover note, outlining your salary expectations.
If you would like to be kept up to date with our latest vacancies , please sign up!register